Monday, August 22

Early morning firedancing memories

It's 8 am. I have already had a shower, washed the dishes, started the laundry, and made a coffee. What made this girl so productive so early you ask? Extra energy? (certainly not) Motivation? (come on, for laundry?)
No, in fact it was an early wake-up call from the Phillipino cousins (I refer to them as a large group because I forget everyone's name...hey, there were many here for the wedding). Fortunately this morning it's the women I know and like best but because they were cleaning before the clock had reached 7:11 (my 'favourite' time), I felt compelled to get up and clean last night's small mess, left out because I had passed out on the couch around 9 pm last night.

Why was I so tired? Well, I went to a 'party' as the DD and it surprisingly had me up until 3 am.

'Party' is in quotations because I'm unfamiliar with the approximate number of people required to make a 'party'. At what point does a 'gathering' become a party? I guess the 80's theme get-up was what made it a 'party' and not the number of people.

Anyway, we spotted the 'party' before we spotted the house because of swirling flames that were coming from the rooftop (!).

People. Fire-dancing and alcohol do not mix.

Several hours, and several beers, after we arrived BJ Boone re-lit (pun intended) the fire swirling interest.
First he proved to his spectators that he could move the pole without a flame, then he proceeded to soak (drench) the pole tips in kerosene. After many failed attempts at ignition, and more kerosene soaks ("trust me, it's needs more"), one of the tips finally lit up...big.
So, there he stood freaked out, holding the flaming pole far away out in front of him, and unsure what to do with the oversized flame (no one saw this coming, I'm sure).

"Here let me do it" says guy #1 (where did he come from?) and he grabbed the pole.
Then guy #1 starts swiping the air with said flaming pole forcing BJ to dive across the roof and roll down unto deck 4 - with the rest of us were keeled over in laughter as it quickly became evident that guy #1 had no idea what he was doing. Finally someone decided that maybe it IS best to just let it burn off. Sigh...drama over.

That is until guy #2 (more drunk that #1) grabs the pole and soaks (drenches) the tips up again, managing to light BOTH sides up this time, and proceeds to twirl/knock the chimney.
I, sober, was already on deck 2 as soon as the second flame tip lit up and stood back wondering how this was going to unfold.....20 seconds later I was bolting down the stairs to rescue the flaming pole before the yard lit up.
As I stood there discussing with guy#1 (who had arrived seconds earlier) what to do with the flaming pole, guy#2 grabs the still flaming pole and storms off. I ran after him trying to convince him to put it out and then settled for staying as supervision while he swirled/dropped the flaming pole, but this time in the street.
"I've never done that before" he mumbled as the pole dropped again. "I made this (!) and the material is too heavy."
Ahh... that must have been the only reason for the near fire miss... sure....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hrm.. that *is* a very good recollection of events. I think for now on, one of us should always be sober to blog about our outtings :)

and if those Phillipinos are bothering you, tell them beat it... I told them they could only stay a night or two...