Saturday, December 10

19th floor

The apartment that I've been housesitting (aka my boyfriends apartment that I sort of moved into for the week - somehow that sounds a lot worse though) is on the 19th floor. This presents many opportunities to ride the elevator with a variety of residents and it amazes me how awkard each ride with a new face is - unless of course I'm drunk and then I can't shut up. I feel snotty for not engaging in conversation, but I'm shy and my fellow elevator riders usually don't say anything anyways.

Purely by coincidence I was looking up 'funny things to do on an elevator' the other day and I thought I'd post a few amusing ones:

~ Tell people their clothes are stuck in the lift door and when they look around and see that it isn't, apologize, then 5 seconds later say it again in exactly the same tone of voice.

~ Pretend to be a flight attendant and instruct people on what to do in an emergency. Especially effective in costume.

~ Say that you have just won the lottery and you are on your way to collect your winnings. See how many people are listening to you.

~ When the elevator is silent, look around and ask "is that your beeper?"

~
Stand silent and motionless in the corner, facing the wall, without getting off.

~ When arriving at your floor, grunt and strain to yank the doors open, then act embarrassed when they open by themselves.

~ When there is only one other person in the elevator, tap them on the shoulder and then pretend it wasn't you.

~ Push a button, pretend it gave you a shock. Smile and go back for more.

~ Ask the others in the elevator which floor they're going to, but push the wrong buttons.

{sigh}
I want to live on my own...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha! I love the electric shock button... I'm so doing that.

Anonymous said...

linds, i love this post. i want to do all of them, but alas, i live in a basement suite and no longer work in an office with an elevator. i have one to add (something i in fact did in james' lobby). when the elevator (that takes *forever* to arrive) finally makes it to the lobby and the doors open, scream when you see two little yapping chihuahuas. for some reason they are the scariest things and the best way to combat mini barks is to scream back at them. (this sounds like a pre-meditated response, but really at the time my reaction was just to scream...)