Monday, December 26

B'gwus

So, today I started reading a book, given to me by my Secret Santa, called Monkey Beach.
It was written by a First Nations lady from Kitamaat, where the story also takes place, and I love reading books about places I've been, as the images are that much more vivid and real in your mind - I'm enjoying this one already.

What's interesting is that already in the first few pages of the story, sasquatch legends and sightings have been mentioned and I get the feeling that this will be a reoccuring theme throughout the book. I've heard rumors that this part of BC was sasquatch territory but this book seeks to confirm it, Monkey Beach being a place where several sasquatch (b'gwus in Haisla) have occured.


In the past, I've been a sasquatch doubter but recently I've changed my tune. It could be because of loud arguements coming from Big Jim, or Jane Goodall's B'gwus belief, or the discovery of a new carnivore in Australia (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,17485571%255E30417,00.html), or maybe it just stems from the fact I hadn't really given it too much thought until now, but either way I'm finding myself turning into a fence-sitter, unsure whether to join Owen Sound boys in their steadfast Bubbles 'Samsquench' faith and admit that there could be this beast that lurks in our deep forests that we haven't discovered, or to keep with my doubt, waiting for some sort of hard evidence of these mysterious beasts.

Thoughts?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oddly enough I've actually read Monkey Beach... what are the chances!? :)

Linds said...

well, I finished this a week ago.
good book. but the ending left me wanting a conclusion (or even an explanation of some events?).
I find that this is often a trait of an award winning book, which it is...(sometimes I like endings though)

what did you think mel;)

Brad Louttit said...

Hi there. I just finished reading Monkey Beach, too. I Googled "B'gwus" and found your post here.

I, too, wanted a conclusion with more answers. It was a beautiful book, though. I really enjoyed learning things about old Haisla ways.

Looks like you haven't posted in a while. I have a blog, too. They're hard to keep up, eh?